Museums of PEC

PEC Heritage Organizations

The Museums of Prince Edward County are pleased to host this site. We are a family of five museums that operate within the Community Development Department for the Corporation of the County of Prince Edward but we are not alone in heritage preservation efforts locally. These are our community partners in the stewardship of Prince Edward County’s history and heritage:

 

Ameliasburgh Heritage Village

Contact: Janice Hubbs, Site Curator
Phone: 613.968.9678 | Email: amelmuseum@pecounty.on.ca
Website: www.pecounty.on.ca/museums
Location:
517 County Road 19, Ameliasburgh, Ontario
Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

The main structure was built in 1868 as the Wesleyan Methodist Church. Now, the site features a log cabin, display barns, a blacksmith shop, a sap shanty, dairy and bee-keeping buildings, and the Goldie Corliss 18 foot flywheel. A highlight is Amelia’s Tea Room, open during Special Events.  For Museum Hours, visit http://www.pecounty.on.ca/government/community_development/museums/ameliasburgh.php


Chronicles of Wellington

Contact: Jennifer Lyons, Head Curator
Phone: 613.399.5015 | Email: wellmuseum@pecounty.on.ca
Location: Wellington Heritage Museum, 290 Main Street, Wellington, Ontario
Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

A community group dedicated to preserving the memories of long-time residents of Wellington and area. A primary focus is collecting and maintaining a library of oral histories pertaining to the village and its immediate vicinity.


Glenwood Cemetery

Phone: 613.476.3511 | Email: info@glenwoodcemetery.ca
Website: www.glenwoodcemetery.ca
Location: 47 Ferguson Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

Located just two blocks off Main Street in Picton, the Glenwood Cemetery is one of the most beautiful and historical cemeteries in Ontario. This 62-acre property of rolling hills, mature trees and winding dirt roads is typical of the Victorian age and remains largely unchanged since it opened in 1873.


Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment Military Museum

Contact: LCol John F. Sherry, CD (Ret’d), Director
Phone: 613-966-2100 | Email: johnfsherry@hotmail.ca
Website: www.theregiment.ca
Location: The Armoury, 187 Pinnacle Street, Belleville, Ontario, K8N 3A5

Featuring memorabilia dealing with The Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment and its predecessors, including military weaponry from any Canadian historical period.


History Lives Here Inc.

Contact: Peter Lockyer
Phone: 613.476.3833 | Email: info@historyliveshere.ca
Website: www.historyliveshere.ca
Location: 74 West Mary Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0
Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

History Lives Here Inc. provides a range of professional communication services to assist businesses, industry associations and community heritage organizations to celebrate their history during anniversary years. History Lives Here Inc. also produces the popular “History Moments” Series which commemorates Prince Edward County’s collective past in entertaining video vignettes.


Macaulay Heritage Park

Contact: Jennifer Lyons, Head Curator
Phone: 613.476.3833 | Email: macmuseum@pecounty.on.ca
Website: www.pecounty.on.ca/museums
Location:
23-25 Church Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0
Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

This attractive historic site features many points of interest: Macaulay House, built in 1830 and restored to the 1850s; the original Church of St. Mary Magdalene which houses local history exhibits; the old parish cemetery; historic gardens and an authentic carriage house. Reverend William Macaulay organized the Parish of Hallowell in 1823 and was instrumental in the naming of the town of Picton. For Museum Hours, visit http://www.pecounty.on.ca/government/community_development/museums/macaulay.php


Marilyn Adams Genealogical Research Centre

Phone: 613-967- 6291 | Info Email: 7thtownmagrc@xplornet.com
Research Email: 7thtownresearch@xplornet.com
Website: www.quinte-kin.com/magrc.htm
Location: Box 35, 528 County Road 19 Ameliasburg, Ontario, K0K 1A0
Mail: Box 35, 528 County Road 19 Ameliasburg, Ontario, K0K 1A0

The Marilyn Adams Genealogical Research Centre (MAGRC) is the home of various assets of the 7th Town Historical Society. The centre houses a valuable and rapidly growing collection of genealogical research material and historic items of local, provincial, national and international interest, including the Victoria Cross Library. These donations have been attracted from Canada, the USA and Europe.


Mariners Park Museum

Contact: Diane Denyes- Wenn, Site Curator
Email: marinersmuseum@pecounty.on.ca
Website: www.pecounty.on.ca/museums
Location:
2065 County Road 13, South Bay, Ontario
Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

Mariners Park Museum explores the ways inhabitants of the County traditionally earned their living from the surrounding waters; from fishing and shipbuilding, through ice-harvesting and rum-running. The lighthouse relocated from False Ducks Island beckons visitors to the site, where they can also explore Fort Kente. The museum has become the home of many shipwreck treasures retrieved during diving expeditions.  For Museum Hours, visit  http://www.pecounty.on.ca/government/community_development/museums/mariners.php


Museums of Prince Edward County

Contact: Jennifer Lyons, Head Curator
Phone: 613.476.2148  | Email: museums@pecounty.on.ca
Website: www.pecounty.on.ca/museums

Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

Administrative office for five municipally operated museums in Prince Edward County.


Naval Marine Archives/Canadian Society of Marine Artists

Contact: Paul Adamthwaite, Executive Director
Phone: 613.476.1177 | Email: info@navalmarinearchive.com
Website: http://navalmarinearchive.com
Location: The Victory, 205 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

A charity dedicated to maritime history and conservation, marine and aviation research and nautical education. They have thousands of maritime, nautical, military and aeronautical documents, books, images and artwork, charts and magazines, and maintain cataloguing tools to provide comprehensive marine and nautical research.


 Prince Edward County Archives

Contact: Krista Richardson, Archivist
Phone: 613.399.2023 | Email: archives@peclibrary.org
Website: www.peclibrary.org
Location: 261 Main Street, Wellington, Ontario, K0K 3L0

The Archives are located adjacent to the Wellington Branch of the County of Prince Edward Public Library. An excellent resource for anyone interested in any aspect of local history, the mandate of the archives is to collect and preserve printed material having any bearing on the history of Prince Edward County.


Prince Edward County Heritage Advisory Committee

Phone: 613-476- 2148
Website: www.pecounty.on.ca/government/planning_services/heritage_conservation.php
Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

The Prince Edward Heritage Advisory Committee is a statutory committee of Prince Edward County Council. PEHAC has been appointed to advise council on all matters relating to the protection and promotion of the County’s heritage resources, including those resources of significant architectural, cultural, historical, archaeological, natural or scientific interest within the County and to advise Council on matters relating to Parts IV and V of the Ontario Heritage Act.


Prince Edward Historical Society

Contact: Krista Richardson, Archivist
Phone: 613.399.2023 | Email: archives@peclibrary.org
Website: www.pehistsoc.wordpress.com
Mail: ℅ Prince Edward County Archives, 261 Main Street, Wellington, Ontario, K0K 3L0

The Prince Edward Historical Society promotes the County’s history in a variety of ways, from preserving records that are important to the history and heritage of the area as well as actively seeking new materials, promoting new publications and hosting lectures on local historical themes.


Quinte Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society

Phone: 613.394.3381 ext. 3328 | Email: quintebranch@ogs.on.ca
Website: www.rootsweb.com/~canqbogs
Location: Quinte West Public Library, 7 Creswell Drive Trenton, Ontario K8V 6X5
Mail: P.O. Box 371, Trenton, Ontario, K8V 5R9

Quinte Branch is part of Region VII of the OGS and covers the counties of Hastings and Prince Edward and part of Northumberland. The information in the Branch’s research library extends well beyond these counties. The goals and objectives of Quinte Branch are to encourage participation in genealogical activities; to assemble and preserve family histories and research material; and to facilitate and assist family history researchers at our library and by correspondence.


Quinte Educational Museum and Archives

Contact: Lynda Sommer, President
Phone: 613.966.5501 | Email: qema@bellnet.ca
Website: www.pec.on.ca/victoriaschoolhouse
Location: 13 Coleman Street, Group Box 13, Ameliasburg, Ontario, K0K 1A0

In 2005, the Victoria Schoolhouse (c.1904) was moved to its present location adjacent to the Ameliasburgh Pioneer Village. There visitors can experience a one room schoolhouse. The Archives, located in the Ameliasburgh Town Hall, have a large collection of artifacts and records to provide researchers with information regarding schools, teachers, students and curriculum.


Rose House Museum

Contact: Diane Denyes-Wenn, Site Curator
Phone: 613.476.5439 | Email: museums@pecounty.on.ca
Website: www.pecounty.on.ca/museums
Location: 3333 County Road 8, Waupoos, Ontario
Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

Rose House has survived since the early 1800s with few alterations, inhabited by five generations of the Rose family. Peter Rose arrived in Prince Edward County among the first Marysburgh settlers, made up largely of United Empire Loyalists and Hessian (German) soldiers who had fought for the British in the American Revolution. According to belief, Rose House is constructed from salvaged timber from the community’ s original Lutheran Church. Peter and his wife, Christina Bongard, raised a large family in this farmhouse. For Museum Hours, visit  http://www.pecounty.on.ca/government/community_development/museums/rose_house.php


The Macdonald Project

Contact: David Warrick
Phone: 613.471.1238 | Email: dwar47@rogers.com
Website: www.macdonaldproject.com
Mail: Box 6216, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

The purpose of this project is to commemorate and celebrate John A. Macdonald, the most famous resident of Prince Edward County, by commissioning a bronze sculpture of him to be located in a suitable place in Picton as a means of connecting Prince Edward County’s important history with its exciting cultural and economic revitalization.


The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 78, Military Museum

Phone: 613.476.3648
Location: 347 Main Street East, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

A museum featuring the military collections of Branch 78 of the Royal Canadian Legion, including costumes, medals, and archival materials.


Wellington Heritage Museum

Contact: Jennifer Lyons, Head Curator
Phone: 613.399.5015 | Email: wellmuseum@pecounty.on.ca
Website: www.pecounty.on.ca/museums
Location:
290 Main Street, Wellington, Ontario
Mail: ℅ 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0

Wellington Heritage Museum is located in the heart of the village of Wellington. It was built in 1885 as a Quaker Meeting House and now features exhibits on local history. Highlights include a tribute to the Quakers who played a notable role in the County’ s development. In addition, the Douglas A. Crawford Canning Industry Collection conveys the importance of that industry in Prince Edward County. There were over 75 different canning factories operating here between 1882 and 1996. For Museum Hours, visit  http://www.pecounty.on.ca/government/community_development/museums/wellington.php